Crab Ciopinno

I love seafood and one of my favorite dishes is Cioppino.  I adjust the my recipe from time to time depending on what seafood I want.  I always have crab in it, but the rest of the seafood should be whatever you like. I buy my Dungeness crab from the seafood department already cooked.  I just pull the legs off and put them in the stew.  I then clean the body while the stew is simmering and put the cooked meat in a bowl so everyone can add more to their stew. This recipe is easy and delicious.  However you make it, make sure you enjoy it with some wine, family or friends.  I love having my Cioppino with the same Savignon Blanc I use in the recipe.  Cheers!

Serves 4

3 Tbs. olive oil.

1 yellow onion finely chopped.

4 garlic cloves minced.

1 Tbs. dried basil.

1 Tbs. dried oregano.

1 Tbs. dried thyme.

1 tsp. salt and pepper.

1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)

1  8 oz. can of tomato sauce.

20 oz. San Marzano style tomatoes.   I don't use the whole 28 oz. can.

1 cup Savigono Blanc 

16 oz. seafood or fish stock.

1/3 cup fresh flat leaf parsley chopped.

1-2  large whole cooked Dungeness crabs.

1/2 lb. raw peeled shrimp.

1/2 lb. mussels.

1/2 lb. of cod or halibut cubed.

1/2 lb. large or colossal scallops cut in half horizontally. 

Put olive oil to a large stock pot on high heat.  Add onions and garlic to the pot and saute until translucent; about 7-10 minutes.  Add basil, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.  Stir to combine.

Add tomatoes and tomato sauce to the pot stirring until everything is combines.  Continue stirring and add wine and stock to the pot .  Sprinkle the freshly chopped parsley into the pot. Turn heat to medium, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. 

After 10 minutes, add cod, scallops and cooked crab legs to the pot. Cover and cook together for 5-7 minutes. 

Add shrimp and mussels to the pot and cover for 5 more minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open up.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tilapia and Warm Lentil Salad

Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic

Harvest Roasted Vegetables