Apple and Cranberry Pie with Stilton Cheese

I'll be honest, I'm not much of a baker. I usually spend my time cooking.  This recipe, however, is easy, delicious and gives me a great excuse to open a good bottle of Port.  I buy a pie crust from the store in the frozen food aisle.  I also buy the bag of pre-sliced apples that are for kids snacks or school lunches in the produce section to save time.  The filling is simple but delicious.  Instead of serving a slice of this pie with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream, I serve it with some intense tasting Stilton cheese.  A delicious Port or Sauternes pairs perfectly with this recipe.  Cheers!

I frozen pie crust thawed.

4 cups peeled and sliced green apples.

1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries.

1 cup chopped walnuts.

2 tsp. grated orange zest.

1/2 cup sugar.

1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon.

1/4 tsp. salt.

2 Tbs. flour.


Streusel Topping

1/2 cup flour.

1/4 brown sugar.

1/4 cup Old Fashion Oats.

4 Tbs. unsalted butter cut into small chunks.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a saute pan on medium high heat, add the chopped walnuts and constantly move the pan for 2-3 minutes so they get slightly toasted.

In a large mixing bowl, combine apples, cranberries, walnuts, orange zest, sugar, cinnamon, salt and flour and stir to combine.

For the topping, combine flour, brown sugar, oats and butter.  With your fingers, combine ingredients so that the butter is in tiny pieces and well incorporated.  

Put pie crust on a baking sheet.  Pour filling into pie crust. Top filling with streusel.  I use foil around the pie crust edges for the first 30 minutes so it doesn't burn.  Then, I remove the foil for the remaining time so the edges brown.

Bake for 50 minutes.  Serve with a slice of Stilton cheese.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tilapia and Warm Lentil Salad

Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic

Harvest Roasted Vegetables